Sep 1, 2008

Nimit Malavia Interview

I just picked up on a fantastic interview with one of our upcoming artists. Friend of project, "commandax" spent some time with Nimit Malavia and gave us this great insight into the young artist...



Erratic Phenomena: Fill us in on the usual vital statistics – age, hometown, et cetera. What got you started in art? When did you realize you were going to be an artist? Did any childhood experiences influence the direction you took in life (and art)?

Nimit Malavia: I am 20 years old (turning 21 in October), and I was born and raised Ottawa, Canada. I’m currently entering my final year at Sheridan College, to earn my BAA in Illustration.

Honestly, I don’t think I can remember a time when I wasn’t drawing or painting, constantly trying to capture the images that were floating around in my mind. I have many fond memories of my childhood, when I would doodle on a Pizza Hut napkin with crayons… even after the pizza had arrived. (To be fair, it’s something I still do today.)


It’s my belief that everything in your life plays a role in shaping who you are… and that being said, I’ve been fortunate enough to have been surrounded by talented and supportive individuals throughout my life, from my parents and family to my peers.
Specifically, I’d have to say my father’s interest in art was probably one that had a great influence on me. He was never able to follow his passion for art while growing up, so he wanted to give my brother and me the opportunity to do so. I remember we would make him draw Batman and Ninja Turtles till his wrists were sore.

"Our Dance"


EP: Tell me something about the theme, philosophy or underlying principles of your work.

NM: In my recent work, I’ve felt a need to portray a kind of unconscious vulnerability. I’m not quite sure what it is, but there is an essential beauty in the extremes of life. Sometimes it feels like trying to catch a glimpse of someone in a private moment of helplessness – stripped of their natural defenses, they stand there, open and honest. Nothing left to hide what’s inside.

For the rest of the interview go here:

Thanks A.!

No comments: